Tuesday

... in the midst of all the craziness that is work



I work a lot (as I'm sure many of you do), and it would be safe to say that most of my time is spent at my job. My life here in San Francisco tends to run at 100 mph, and I've become accustomed to always being on the go, go, go. During the school year, if I'm not at work I'm at school - so I don't have a lot of free time. I rarely call my family, let alone go home to visit!

So today at work (I work at the bank) it was super hectic, the line of customers practically going out the door. When it gets like this, I tend to rush through my work. My breaking point finally came an hour after the rush, when I accidentally shorted one customer. Luckily I caught it before she left.

The lady was very understanding and before she left, she patted my hand and said, "Just take a deep breath and slow down, honey."

That stopped me for a moment when I realized she was right. Not just with my job, but with life in general. There have been so many times where I've constantly been busy busy busy..that I don't take the time to enjoy LIFE.

I think this is true for the majority of us - caught up with things we feel we need to DO rather than take our time to reflect on the things God has graciously blessed us with.

When was the last time I spent an hour (even on my lunch break) to sit outside and enjoy nature? When was the last time I took a few minutes before work to say a little prayer? How about the last time I said "thank you" to God for another day I can live?

It's not that hard, but it's something I don't do.

Today I saw God through a woman who meant to tell me to slow down while processing her transaction, but I saw it as God telling me to slow down and remember why I was here - why I breathe.

"Just take a deep breath and slow down, honey."


(Click here to view the many wonderful articles that await you in www.ParishWorld.net, America's Catholic Lifestyle Magazine. Be informed, be inspired, be blessed. )

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:48 AM

    I like your blog. Very refresghing to see God in all places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:22 PM

    You are just about right! With our busy life, we hardly pause, reflect and give thanks to God for our daily blessings. Thanks for another good point!! Will try to remember that. May God bless you for more inspirational thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny in Richmond, BC, Canada5:04 PM

    I's a working student like you and I to need to slow down and catch up on things with my Mom. She lives in Calgary. I will cal her today. Thanks for giving me a gnawing reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marta de Jesus10:57 PM

    Your recent blog, this one, kinda nudged me to stop what I was doing and take a breath. I keep complaining to my husband about not having the time do "things" but you reminded me just in time. I can slow down, even put things off for another day, and still take the time to smell the roses. I did that today. The roses smelled really nice. Thank you. You are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete